Please review the Program Guidelines and Eligibility presented in this website before applying.
Application can be made at any time. However, applications mailed by March 15th will be reviewed for the spring meeting and applications mailed by September 15th will be reviewed for the fall meeting.
Applicants should submit one copy of a proposal (no more than 7-10 pages) that describes the following:
- Background on the organization (why it was founded, who is involved and provides leadership, what it has achieved, its capacity to create change, its decision making structure);
- Description of the work for which the funds are sought;
- An explanation of the need; and,
- A description of the impact the project will have: what will change.
The Foundation will accept proposals prepared in a “common application” format. The application should include:
- An organizational budget (expenses, including salaries of each staff person, and income);
- IRS determination 501(c)3 letter;
- Brief bios of key staff and board officers;
- Board of directors list;
- Data about the race, ethnicity and gender of your Board and staff;
- Current private supporters list with grant amounts;
- A recent financial statement (and audit if available); and,
- Relevant attachments (e.g. newspaper articles).
Please refrain from using folders, binders, and glossy packaging materials.
Send the application, with a cover letter signed by an authorized person (usually the executive director or director) to:
The Abelard Foundation-East
P.O. Box 148
Lincoln, MA 01773
We encourage you to use regular, first class mail, not overnight.
Review Process: Receipt of the proposal will be acknowledged by mail. The review process generally takes three to four months. The Board of Directors meets twice a year, generally in June and November. Once the Board has made its decisions, applicants will be notified either by mail or phone.