Director of the Beinecke Scholarship Program
The Sperry Fund seeks an experienced and skilled Director who will be responsible for the vision and execution of the Beinecke Scholarship Program.
The Sperry Fund is a private foundation based in New York and founded in 1962 for the purpose of supporting education and other charitable activities. Its primary activity is the Beinecke Scholarship Program which has awarded nearly 600 scholarships since 1975 to distinguished scholars pursuing graduate studies in the arts, humanities and social sciences.
The Beinecke Scholarship is one of the nation’s prestigious merit-based academic scholarships. Over one hundred highly respected and selective public and private undergraduate institutions participate in the Beinecke Scholarship Program by nominating one candidate every year for the scholarship award. Through a highly competitive process, an academic selection committee selects twenty scholars each spring from the pool of nominations. The total financial award is $34,000 and the Beinecke Scholarship Program Director typically secures full tuition coverage from the graduate institution as well as other expenses for the scholars. Scholars may take up to five years to use the full award.
Beinecke Scholars are exceptional individuals representing a diverse range of intellectual interests and social, gender, and racial backgrounds. They demonstrate superior intellectual ability and scholastic achievement. Alumni of the Beinecke Scholarship Program have become leaders in academia, business, and law, and many are currently senior faculty or chairs of academic departments.
The Director’s responsibilities include:
- selecting a team of leading academics to comprise the Selection committee;
- maintaining an ongoing relationship with the colleges and universities invited to submit candidates;
- mentoring each of the gifted scholars selected; and
- responsibility for the financial administration and management of the scholarships.
This is a part-time position that can be managed remotely. Travel is required and compensation is provided quarterly.
Please direct letter of interest and resume/curriculum vitae to Frederick W. Beinecke, President of The Sperry Fund, and email the documents to email@example.com. Please do not submit application by fax, mail or in person. Materials submitted via these methods will not be considered. Given limited staff capacity, calls regarding status of your candidacy will not be returned.
- DEADLINE: March 1, 2017
- START DATE: Spring 2017
For complete job description and additional information about the Beinecke Scholarship, please consult the links below:
- Appendix 1 — Job Description & How to Apply
- Appendix 2 — 2016 Program Report with historical information regarding course of study
- Appendix 3 — Various College Announcements of 2016 Beinecke Scholarship Recipients
- Appendix 4 — Undergraduate Institutions from which Beinecke Scholars have been selected
- Appendix 5 — Graduate Institutions Beinecke Scholars have attended