We will support:
- Environmental 501(c)(3) groups throughout Washington and Oregon who meet the stated areas of interest.
- Nonprofit 501(c)(3) groups in Washington state that meet the stated areas of interest regarding teen pregnancy prevention.
- Grants are made for general operating expenses and/or special projects.
- Multi-Year Policy:
Groups who have received Burning funding for 3 out of 5 previous years may apply for a 3-year grant. Trustees may select one or two each funding cycle, based on an effective track record and a clear, achievable plan for future accomplishments. $20,000 year one, $20,000 year two, less than $20,000 year three. Trustees will make a site visit to each multi-year applicant accepted for consideration. An annual report is required, but in years 2 and 3 a brief update letter and budget summary will substitute for a pre-application and full proposal. (See Application Procedure, #4, below.)
We will NOT support:
- Requests for research projects or scholarships.
- Book, video, film, or web productions, unless the production is an essential component of the funded project.
- Requests from schools, universities, or their fundraising affiliates.
- Computer, software, or office equipment purchases.
- Programs related to energy conservation, alternative energy, nuclear waste, toxics, or global warming.
- Land/property purchase, or capital campaigns for building construction or renovations.
- Requests related to gardening programs, or the creation or renovation of urban or community parks.
- We no longer accept proposals for environmental education programs
- Average grant size: $5,000 to $12,000. Approximately $400,000 is granted each year.