2018 Request for Proposal
2019 Scholarship Program and Invitation to
Apply for Tuition Support for Three-Year-Old Students
Like most states, Hawaii is attempting to build, over a period of many years, a universal preschool system for all four-year-olds. This voluntary program is now located in the Department of Education and complements the many excellent private preschool providers across the state. Neither Pre-School Open Doors, nor the DOE will cover three-year-old pre-school students. It is estimated that about 15% of preschool students are three years of age at the point they start instruction.
The Samuel N. and Mary Castle Foundation is mindful of our long history of serving all of Hawaii’s families with educational opportunities in the early years of growth and socio-emotional development. To that end, we are inviting select pre-schools to apply for up to $10,000 to support low-income or modest-income children who are three-years-old at the time the award is made. As always, the pre-school should develop the process for identifying eligible children and provide families information of how they may apply for this tuition assistance. Please publicize the existence of these scholarships in any way you choose. Twelve months after receipt of the funds, send us a report on how many three-year-olds were assisted and how the pilot project assisted, if it did, the school’s ability to serve low to moderate-income families.
All applications for tuition assistance are due in the office of the Samuel N. and Mary Castle Foundation no later than Monday, September 3, 2018. Trustees will consider all requests for up to $10,000 at our December meeting and awards will be made by the end of December 2018.
Organizations would be able to award the tuition funds in January of 2019. In this demonstration project we are partnering with ten well respected and accredited preschool centers across the state.
News of the award, if made, may be shared with the media and in-house newsletters, etc. Please inform parents of children receiving an award that the funds came from the Samuel N. & Mary Castle Foundation.
Click the tabs below for detailed application and reporting procedures.
List of Eligible Pre-Schools
- AE Kamali’i Pre-School
- Good Shepherd Pre-School
- Hawaii Montessori School
(Kona and Kamuela)
- Ka Hale O’ Na Keiki Pre-School
- Kama’aina Care
- Na Kamali`i Hoaloha
- Rainbow School
- Seagull Schools
- Waikiki Community Center Pre-School
- Wailuku Union Church Pre-School
- YWCA of Hawaii Island
A Full Application Should Include
- A cover letter on official stationary signed by the pre-school director and chairman of the school board.
- Proposal narratives must be a maximum of three pages and include the following information:
- Brief description of the applicant organization, its purpose, its history, its governance, and its current enrollment.
- Concise summary of the scholarship/tuition aid program for three-year-olds, with a statement of need, measurable program objectives, description of how the activity is to be carried out, an indication of the population to be served, and the plan for evaluating its effectiveness.
- Number of 3-year-old students receiving any kind of tuition assistance.
- The percentage of 3-year-old enrolled students in the spring of 2018 who are on some form of public and private tuition support.
- How many 3-year-old students will be helped if the Samuel N. & Mary Castle Foundation funds the request (estimates are satisfactory)?
- A current revenue and expense budget for the entire scholarship/tuition aid program, indicating other funding sources, if any, available for 3-year-olds.
- Additional financial information requested:
- The organization’s current operating budget (indicate start and end date of fiscal year).
- Income Statement for organization’s most recent completed fiscal year (indicate start and end date of fiscal year). Audited financial statements are preferred.
- A copy of the following must be included in your request:
- List of Board members with their professional or business affiliation; and statement as to active participants of board members.
- One Copy of the following items must be included with the proposal packet:
- Internal Revenue Service letter advising that the organization is tax-exempt under Section 501 (c)(3) of the Code, and its foundation status under 509 (a) (if not submitted in earlier applications).
- Organization’s charter and by-laws, if not previously submitted or amended.
Deadline & Submission
Applications need not be formal and should be as brief as appropriate to present necessary facts about the applying organization and the scholarship program for which the grant is being sought.
- Do not bind the request.
- Submit 2 copies.Submit 2 copies.
The proposal should be sent to the following mailing address by September 3, 2018:
Alfred L. Castle, Executive Director
Samuel N. & Mary Castle Foundation
733 Bishop Street, Suite 1275
Pacific Guardian Center, Makai Tower
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
The completed application may also be e-mailed or hand delivered.
All applications must be received at the Castle Foundation office by
5:00 p.m. Friday, September 3, 2018.
Reporting Guidelines for Final Report
We look forward to learning from your progress, challenges and successes. The report must be signed by the School Head and Board Chair/President. Feel free to contact us if you have questions or require further clarification of our reporting procedures. The final report should be submitted 12 months after the receipt of the award. Any unused funds should be returned to the Foundation. Please consult with Foundation staff should the school have any questions about the award.
The following must also be provided in the report narrative:
- One page narrative about the scholarship/tuition aid program. How were students selected and by whom?
- Number of students assisted from Samuel N. & Mary Castle Foundation and amount of awards for each student (students should remain anonymous).
- A copy of the document the student is given that indicates notification of the awarding foundation and the dollar amount.