The Field Hall Foundation was incorporated in 1986 to assist Field Home – Holy Comforter, a not-for-profit nursing home, and Catherine Field Home, a home for older women, in providing high-quality caring services to its residents and patients. Although the Foundation began in 1986, its history actually dates back to 1879, with the pioneering work of two individuals, Sister Louise Gardner Hall and Cortlandt de Peyster Field.
In 1879, Sister Louise, an Episcopal nun from Fishkill, NY, saw a need for a place to care for those who suffered from incurable diseases and made it her personal mission to provide a retreat where their physical and spiritual needs could be met. Along with two friends, she opened “The House of the Holy Comforter, Free Church Home for Incurables” at 241 West 23rd Street in New York City. At the time of its opening, it was the only free nursing home in the city of New York. The House of the Holy Comforter moved several times and by 1915 settled at the Grand Concourse.
Meanwhile, around that same period, in 1887, Cortlandt de Peyster Field founded “Catharine Field Home” in memory of his mother, Catharine. He and a volunteer board of trustees began a mission of caring for elderly women in the stately, graceful building on the land that was his grandfather’s farm in Peekskill, NY (now Cortlandt Manor). That building is now known as Field Hall.
In 1986, The House of the Holy Comforter merged with Catharine Field Home, and moved onto the Cortlandt Manor campus, becoming Field Home – Holy Comforter.
In 1997, The Seabury-Wilson Home of Mount Vernon merged with Catharine Field Home and The Seabury at Fieldhome, an assisted living and memory support residence, was constructed on the campus.
The Fieldhome campus also added The Early Learning Center, a child care and preschool, in 1993, offering a unique intergenerational program for Fieldhome residents. And, in 2014, Fieldhome added a Social Adult Day Care program for seniors in the community who needed assistance, but wanted to continue living at home.
In 2018, Fieldhome was sold to a for-profit organization, with the assets from the sale invested in the Foundation. The Foundation’s aim is to honor and continue Sister Louise’s and Cortlandt de Peyster Field’s mission by providing grants that will improve the lives of older adults and their caregivers in Westchester, Putnam, and Dutchess Counties, NY.
The Field Hall Foundation logo is inspired by the cupola of Field Hall.