Skill-building and training programs that empower at-risk youth, women and families to develop skills that would bring them towards economic self-sufficiency. We support grassroots service learning or work-based programs that enhance individual and family self-sufficiency.
We are interested in programs that provide job-related educational and skill building opportunities, and those seeking to build character and develop self-reliance and accountability. We also support artistic and cultural skill-building programs for youth and families that can enhance educational and future career opportunities.
We particularly encourage requests from organizations creating opportunities for our region’s immigrant communities.
THE FOUNDATION WILL SUPPORT
- Nonprofit 501(c)(3) groups in the Puget Sound area that meet the above criteria.
- General operating expenses or special projects for community-based programs.
- Technical assistance requests for board and staff training (up to $600).
- Groups that are rooted in a community, member-controlled, continue to attract new members, and have an ongoing method for developing new leadership.
THE FOUNDATION WILL NOT SUPPORT
- Groups outside the Puget Sound area.
- National organizations, even those with projects in the Pacific Northwest.
- Human services or low-income services projects or organizations that are not specifically providing skill-building or training opportunities.
- Programs with a religious or proselytizing approach or mission.
- Educational and outreach programs of large artistic or cultural institutions.
- Museum exhibits or related outreach programs for schools or communities.
- Traditional academic-oriented literacy, tutoring, and mentorship programs.
- Individual requests for research or scholarships.
- Childcare centers, schools, or classroom projects.
- Book, video, film, or home-page productions, unless the expenses occur within the context of a project that fits the foundation’s major areas of interest.
- Computer, software, or office equipment purchases unless clearly a component of a project that fits foundation areas of interest.
- Capital campaigns for building construction or renovations.