Application forms are available online, at the Aspotogan Heritage Trust Building, J.D. Shatford Memorial Library and Job Depot in Hubbards, and at Sir John A High School and Forest Heights Community School.
The J.D. Shatford Memorial Trust provides Scholarship Grants to community college and university students whose Family (defined below) resides within the geographic boundaries of the Trust.
The general geographic boundries of the J.D. Shatford Memorial Trust are found on the web-site. A more detailed map of the geographical boundries is available at the offices of the Aspotogan Heritage Trust and at the J.D. Shatford Memorial Library in Hubbards, Nova Scotia.
All student applicants for scholarship grants must meet the criteria and guidelines listed below. The criteria and guidelines are also included with the application form.
Criteria for Scholarship Grants
- Twenty-five (25) years of age or less at time of first application
- Permanent residency of the student and their Family within the Trust’s geographic boundaries during the last three (3) years of high school (Grades 10 to 12) and continued Family residency within the Trust’s geographic boundaries following high school graduation while receiving funding from the Trust. Family is defined as at least one parent and the student applying for funding.
- Proof of acceptance at an accredited university, community college or vocational-type institution.
- Willingness to provide additional information as requested by the Trustees or the Trust’s Advisory Committee.
- Applicants for full time classroom study only to be considered.
- Each application covers one year of funding only. Annual applications are required.
Guidelines for Funding and Timing of Funding
- Annual funding amount will be determined based on the number of successful applicants and income of the Trust.
- Funding after year 1 will be based on passing marks received for the prior academic year ending June 30.
- Fully completed applications received by the Advisory Committee up to the last Friday in July will be processed on a priority basis to ensure that funds are received by the various institutions on a timely basis. Late applications will be accepted and processed as time permits.
- For all scholarship recipients applying by the early deadline, funding will be paid directly to the institution usually by the middle of September. Each institution will be required to submit annual reports to the Trustee accounting for the expenditure of the Scholarship Grant funds. Funding will be delayed for following years until reports are completed.
- Trustee is JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., New York, New York. Final decisions regarding eligibility, amount of funding and timing of payment rests with the Trustee. The Trustee has sole discretion over applications. The terms and conditions upon which scholarship grants are made may change over time at the sole discretion of Trustee.