Below is general information for university students applying for educational assistance.
- Applications for funding must be submitted by all students on an annual basis. The maximum number of years for funding under the Trust is 6 years at the undergraduate level, including vocational courses. The maximum number of years of funding from the Trust is 10 years for those students continuing education at a graduate level. Applications are available online and hard copies are available at the Aspotogan Heritage Trust (AHT) offices and the J.D. Shatford Memorial Library in Hubbards. Applications also are available at the two high schools within the region (SJA & FHCS).
- Applications received by June 30 will receive priority attention. Late applications received will be held for the second mailing to the Trustees in September or early October. Applications should be submitted as early as possible to speed up the process.
- Incomplete applications may be returned to the applicant. Please provide your complete street address to assist the committee in determining eligibility.
- Maximum assistance per year may vary based on the income earned by the Trust and the number of applicants. Funding will be determined by JP Morgan Chase Bank, Trustee.
- Funding will be provided to full-time students only and is based on the criteria on the application form. Funding is based on 5 full time courses (30 credit hours) for university students and will be prorated for any number of courses less than 5 (30 credit hours). Vocational courses will be funded based on full-time participation in the program in question. Credits/courses completed successfully will be taken into consideration when determining further funding.
- Funds are paid in $US directly to the institution attended, usually by mid-September for qualified applicants that meet the early deadline. Institutions will apply the funds against any accounts outstanding relating to the school year with any balance to go directly to the student to assist with other costs. Funds may be held by the institution for 2nd term funding.
- Currently, funding for university students is based on the following criteria after the 1st year (for students taking 5 or more courses):
Credits Received in Prior Year Funding % 30 credit hrs / 5 credits or more 100% 27 credit hrs / 4.5 credits 75% 24 credit hrs / 4 credits 50% Less than 24 credit hrs 0%
Students receiving less than 100% can increase future funding based on results in a following year. Those determined to be ineligible due to academic results may be eligible for funding following a year of self-funding and strong achievement. Community College courses and other vocational type programs will be evaluated based on results of the program completed. For students in a probationary situation due to the lack of scholastic achievement, GPA will also be be considered by the Trustee in determining funding.
- The school year is considered as July 1 to June 30 for purposes of determining the calculation in section 7.
- To meet the residency requirements, eligible students must complete a minimum of their last 3 years of high school (Grades10 to12) while the parent(s) and student live within the Shatford Trust boundaries. The student and his/her family must maintain permanent residency in the designated area while the student is receiving Trust funding. Future eligibility is based on continued adherence to residency requirements. Final residency determination rests with the Trustee in the United States.
- Should a student decide to discontinue their education during the school year they should inform the Advisory Committee. Educational institutions have been informed that any remaining funds as the result of your decision are to be returned by the school to the Trustee.
- The Trustee and their representatives have authority to publish the names of successful applicants on the J.D. Shatford Memorial Trust website (www.fdnweb.org/shatford) based on your agreement when signing the application.
- Students with questions can contact Andy Hare, Suzanne Brown, or Allyson McKinnon at email@example.com