The Foundation was created by the Will of Catherine Holmes Wilkins to provide charitable grants to qualified medical research and social service agencies in the Puget Sound region.
- Medical Research and Education:
To medical and academic centers conducting research and training in areas such as cancer, heart disease, and mental illness.
- Physically Handicapped and Mentally Ill:
To community nonprofit agencies providing direct social services to people with physical disabilities or mental illness who are primarily low-income or destitute.
- Services for the Needy:
To community-based programs providing immediate support to the needy, with particular emphasis on services for abused women and children.
Foundation Eligibility Policies
- Applicants must have IRS tax exempt 501(c)(3) status.
- Organizations must operate within or significantly affect the residents of the Greater Seattle region: Tacoma to Everett, Seattle, and the Eastside.
- PLEASE NOTE: BUDGET RESTRICTION — Applications will not be accepted from organizations with annual operating budgets over $1 million, with two exceptions: (1) Organizations (of any budget size) applying for medical research funding are eligible to apply; and (2) Organizations which have received 2 Wilkins grants within the last 5 years may reapply for support, despite their budget size.
- Grant applications will not be accepted from organizations which have been declined for funding twice in the previous 5 years.
- After receiving 3 consecutive grants from the foundation, applicants must skip 2 entire years before reapplying (e.g. if the last grant payment was received in Summer 2017, the grantee must skip the 2018 and 2019 cycles and is eligible to reapply in Summer 2020).
- Multi-year funding: groups who have received 2 grants within the previous 5 years may apply for 3-year funding. (See Application Procedures page.)
- Preference will be given to programs with clearly defined outcomes, although general operating requests will be considered.
- When funding capital campaigns, preference will be given to smaller campaigns where modest contributions may have an impact. It is advisable to contact our Grants Consultant to discuss your capital request before submitting.
- Grants will not be made for debt retirement or to meet operation deficit.
- Average grant size ranges from $3,000 to $5,000.
- Grants are not made to individuals or for scholarships.