The Cummings Fund will consider up to TWO different grant requests at any given time from any one applicant organization.
Organizations submitting just one grant request should limit it to seven pages in length. Organizations submitting two grant requests should present them in one combined proposal limited to ten pages in length. The organization’s submission must be printed in not less than a 12-point font, with 1 inch page margins, and include:
- A cover letter, signed by the Executive Director/CEO, which includes the title(s) of the project(s) being submitted for the Fund’s consideration together with the grant amount(s) being sought.
- A one-paragraph summary focusing upon each of the one or two requests (not focusing on the overall work of the organization) including the specific dollar amount requested and a concise description of the project(s). [Please refer to project descriptions in our “Recent Grants” section of this website for examples of summaries.].
The proposal should then include a brief description of the organization, including its mission and major program areas. If your organization has experienced any significant changes in leadership, staffing or financial condition within the past year, or if any are anticipated in the near future, please candidly include that information within this section.
Provide a detailed description of the one or two projects, including the following:
- The primary purpose of the project(s) and the need or problem that you are seeking to address;
- Population to be served, an indication of how they will be selected, the number to be served (please do not use percentages), and how they will benefit from the project;
- Specific and measurable goals of the project which the organization hopes to meet at the conclusion of the grant period, and the type of evaluation procedure(s) your organization will use to show the project has achieved its desired results;
- An indication of the relevance of the project(s) to the applicant organization’s mission and to its future plans; and
- An indication of plans to secure current and future funding for the program, and an explanation of how the project will move forward if full funding is not obtained.
Also attach to the Grant Proposal described above the following Appendices:
- A full, itemized project budget which reflects the portion(s) of the budget being requested from The Cummings Fund;
- Listing of other prospective funders receiving the same grant request(s), the amounts requested, and the status;
- Listing of additional sources of funding for the project(s) and the amount of support from each source; and
- A job description if a request is to support a staff position, as well as a resume if the position has been filled.
All applicants should please submit four sets of the Grant Proposal and Appendices as outlined above, collated with the following attachments:
- Your most recent operating budget;
- Your most recent audited financial statement;
- Completed Cummings Fund Questionnaire [Download]; and
- List of Board of Directors with their respective work affiliations, if any.
Additionally, an organization must please submit a copy of its most recent 501(c)(3) determination letter and its most recent Form 990 tax return.
NOTE: Proposals should be paginated and then clipped or stapled together, NOT permanently bound. Please mail or messenger proposals so as to arrive on or before our April 1st or October 1st submission deadlines. When a submission deadline falls on a weekend, proposals may be submitted by 5:00 P.M. on the following Monday. FAXED and e-mailed proposals will not be accepted.