The Field Hall Foundation was incorporated in 1986 to assist Field Home – Holy Comforter, a not-for-profit nursing home, and Catherine Field Home, a home for older women, in providing high-quality caring services to its residents and patients. Although the Foundation began in 1986, its history actually dates back to 1879, with the pioneering work of two individuals, Sister Louise Gardner Hall and Cortlandt de Peyster Field.
In 1879, Sister Louise, an Episcopal nun from Fishkill, NY, saw a need for a place to care for those who suffered from incurable diseases and made it her personal mission to provide a retreat where their physical and spiritual needs could be met. She opened “The House of the Holy Comforter, Free Church Home for Incurables,” the only free nursing home in New York City at the time. In 1915, the House settled at the Grand Concourse, in the Bronx.
In 1887, Cortlandt de Peyster Field founded “Catharine Field Home” in memory of his mother and began a mission of caring for elderly women in a stately building in Peekskill, NY (now Cortlandt Manor). That building is now known as Field Hall.
More than one hundred years later, in 1986, The House of the Holy Comforter merged with Catharine Field Home, and moved onto the Cortlandt Manor campus, becoming Field Home – Holy Comforter. Over the years, an assisted living and memory support residence, an intergenerational child care and preschool program and a social adult day care program were also added on the campus.
In 2018, Fieldhome was sold to a for-profit organization, with the assets from the sale invested in the Foundation. The Foundation’s aim is to continue Sister Louise’s and Cortlandt de Peyster Field’s mission by providing grants that will improve the lives of older adults and their caregivers in Westchester, Putnam, and Dutchess Counties, NY.
The Field Hall Foundation logo is inspired by Field Hall’s cupola.