The Foundation supports capital projects such as hard costs related to the construction or purchase of new facilities, building renovations and improvements, purchase of capital equipment and furnishings, and other one-time capital needs. Broad fields of support include education, social services, arts, health, religion, and humanities. The current geographic areas of grant support are primarily the five boroughs of New York City, and Essex, Morris, and Union Counties in New Jersey. In recent years, most grant awards have ranged from $5,000 to $15,000.
The Foundation only gives grants to nonprofit organizations with a valid tax exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and which are classified as public charities and not “private foundations” under Sections 509(a)(1) or (2) of the code. Organizations must be in compliance with all mandatory Federal and State Tax and filing requirements. In general, the Foundation does not accept applications for endowment, operating support, benefit fundraisers, annual fund appeals, or from fiscal agents. Grants will not be made for leases or rentals of equipment. Grants are not made to individuals, or for projects outside the United States of America.
- Grant Application Form (entered online).
- A brief narrative (no longer than three pages in length), signed by an authorized official, summarizing the background of the organization and constituency served, the purpose of the appeal, anticipated time frame for the project, and how the equipment/capital improvement will benefit the organization.
- A project budget with line items.
- An operating budget for the current fiscal year.
- A list of corporate and foundation supporters for the most recent fiscal year.
- A list of the Board of Directors/Trustees and their business affiliations.
- An audited financial report for the most recent fiscal year. (If an audit is not performed, the most recent Form 990 will be accepted.)
- A copy of the organization’s Annual Report (optional).
- A copy of the organization’s most recent 501(c)(3) and 509(a) IRS ruling letter(s).
Please note that the application portal is only open during the grant application periods listed below
– OR –
Grant Application Periods:
- Spring grant applications are accepted November 15 – February 15.
- Fall grant applications are accepted June 15 – September 15.
If the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline will be the next business day. There is an ongoing review of proposals during the application period; because there is a finite amount of funds budgeted for each grants cycle, you are strongly encouraged to submit your proposal early in the application period.
GRANT REPORTING REQUIREMENTS
If your organization is a former grantee, please note that we will not consider any future proposals from your organization until a report is provided for any previous grants received from this Foundation.